Thursday, April 12, 2007

Two Interesting Articles

Michelle Malkin: "The Culture of 'Bitches, Niggas, and Hos"

Anyone who knows me knows that I seriously despise Michelle Malkin 99.9% of the time, but I was pretty impressed with how she noticed that all of this Imus-hoopla is not as serious of a problem as the kind of rhetoric that goes on on airwaves all the time via "rap" music. I'm surprised people make such a fuss about one racist jerk when there are plenty of people on the airwaves (musicians, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc.) who make comments just as racist daily (infact, I think you could make a strong case for Michelle Malkin herself being a racist), just not as blatant or obvious as Imus. Malkin does a decent job of recognizing the more prevalent (and ignored) mechanisms which promote and allow the kind of language Imus and others perpetuate.

Alec Baldwin: "What Imus Really Did Wrong"

So this is being included because I think Alec Baldwin is a phenomenal actor and I love that HuffPo gives (almost) everyone a voice, from John Kerry to Sheryl Crow to local journalists. Baldwin takes a very different point of view, arguing that Imus shouldn't have been fired because he is an entertainer, not a news-giver and that the real group to blame is the audience who applauds and listens to this kind of racist entertainment. I don't know if I agree completely, but it's a good argument...and quite frankly, I just think he's sexy.

No comments: