Monday, December 04, 2006

about what to do with our lives

Recently I've realized that I really think it's not our career choices that matter as much as our hobbies. I mean obviously you want to find a career in something nice and special and you, but its those after-work/weekend hours that define us as people. Everyone has their things they enjoy to do, and recently I've been all about finding and/or developing mine. The more things you try, the more you learn what you do and don't like! I want to try and cook something new and different once a week (Saturday was the first time I made flimsy white fish) and I also want to get back into reading when finals are over. Forget the Sims, what a distraction! Talk about rotting the mind! Anyway, that's my two cents on the topic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i disagree. i think its your chosen occupation, the way you choose the spend most of your time that defines you, which is why your chosen field is so important. as each day goes by i realize that i want to drop the premed thing. last night i stayed up until 445 am/ and i loved the idea of staying up and writing my paper, and hated the idea of staying up and doing my chem lab. there is a probelm there.

yasmina

Sara said...

i mean you're right. it's definitely important. obviously you don't want to be stuck doing something that is not invigorating. but i think for most people, several things interest them, and all im saying is all of those options are probably going to make you happy. not like art and premed, but like art or art history or photography. those are all things you genuinely, thoroughly enjoy and its between those things that any profession would probably make you happy. maybe im wrong. i just think, for me at this point, i know the things i love, and whether im a teacher or a professor or a historian is not a HUGE deal because i'll be involved in that which i love.

you're also right about staying up late. that IS a problem. especially considering the serious toil involved in med-school and whatnot. im sure you already know all this.