I'm sorry that all of my posts lately are some kind of response to something I've read elsewhere online and nothing genuinely creative, but eh, that's what happens occasionally.
I saw this list, Perry Garfinkel: The 7 Habits of Highly Spiritual People, and was very interested, as I think the term "spiritual" carrys a lot of ambiguous weight. Spirituality appeals to me and attracts me much more than many other words, like say "conformity", but its hard to know exactly what it means, especially the way I think it is so casually thrown around ("Oh, me? I'm not religious. I'm spiritual."). Not that I don't think thats a valid thing to say, it's just I don't know exactly what it means. Does it mean you reject traditional prayer in favor of more personal means of connecting to a higher power, like meditation or fasting or whatever else? Does it mean you don't practice anything from an established religion and instead opt for a more personal, solely mental (in that it doesn't encourage you to physically do anything, like meditate) connection with a higher power? Does it mean you want to reject religion but don't want to shut the door on the whole "higher power" deal? I don't think it needs to be crudely defined, I just wish I had a better sense of what people mean when they use the word "spiritual". It's certainly something I stive to be and to me I guess it means attempting to forge a connection with both a higher power and to attempt to tap into the spirit or consciousness of the universe.
Anyway, here are the 8 habits he mentions, all of which I think are worth striving for. If you want his explanations on each read the full article, linked to above.
Highly Spiritual People:
1. Give Rather Than Take
2. Say Yes More Than They Say No
3. See Possibilities, Not Problems
4. Walk A Mile in Your Shoes
5. Count Blessings in Small Wonders
6. Give Compliments Generously, Accept Them with Humility
7. Worship Where and When the Spirit Moves Them
8. Laugh a Lot
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment