Here is the conversation that unfolded when my father and I went to see Ocean's 13 for Father's Day tonight.
::me and my father walk in movie just as it begins playing::
Dad: (asks 2 questions about other 2 movies)
Sara: (responds whispering)
Woman next to me: Are you going to be talking the entire movie?
S: No, I'm sorry, he just had a quick question.
W: Really? Because you were really going on for a while there. (NOTE: about a minute had passed since we sat down.)
S: I'm sorry.
D: If you have such a problem with it, you can move.
W: No, I was here first you can move.
S: (quiets down Dad) I'm sorry.
::movie plays and is over::
S (to W): I just wanted to say... I completely understood your position and I would have been annoyed in that situation too, but its really not necessary to be so rude.
W: Well, you were being rude by walking in late (NOTE: Again, we walked in just as the movie began) and then chatting for five minutes.
S: It was only about a minute, and I'm sorry if that minute bothered you so much.
W: Well I'm sorry you had to be so rude and annoying to everyone here.
S: Well I'm sorry you're such a bitch.
W: Being that rude might be acceptable in your country, but here it's not.
S: (was walking away but now turned around) MY country? You have a lot of nerve. MY country? I was born here and am just as American as you, so no, I would say in OUR country walking in right on time and talking for a minute is not the rudest thing to do. I apologize that our 60 seconds of talking was so infuriating that you felt the need to be so rude.
I can't tell you how many times I have encountered people this rude, but every time it just breaks my heart. And for a couple minutes, I'm really angry, but I'm mostly just sad. I don't know why it breaks my heart, as they are the ones who are so ignorant and arrogant, but somehow it just stings. I guess that makes me weak. It probably would have been better if I would have just walked away at the end of the movie, but my ego got the best of me and I had to put my foot down that it's just not okay to talk to people like that. I doubt she learned a lesson. I forgot how hateful people can be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
that is truly sad, simply thinking about it makes me question the human's mind
it's always a struggle, keep your chin up lovely
wow. its people like that... (fill in the blank).
its unfortunate that with as much knowledge as there is to gain in this life, there is 10-fold in ignorance.
and i'm glad you said something to her, because its also really easy to just let her say what she wanted and feel like shit.
and i HAVE to ask, what was the woman's ethnicity?
my country?? our country??
to me this notion is as silly as when my friend says something like,
"WE need two ties and three wins in the next five games to make it to the playoffs" OR "WE just signed Bob Lawblaw to a three year contract"
"we" referring to the local basketball/hockey/football team.
its not we, its they. just like its not my country, its theirs! And i want no part in their nation or religion(s).
i don't have a country and i don't want one, so stop asking me where i'm from!
Post a Comment