Friday, June 15, 2007

a psuedo-treatise on religion and the individual

Religious people, especially Muslims, place so much emphasis on community that it hinders their understanding and spiritual growth. I resent the mosque because it is supposed to be the place for learning and I don't learn anything from there. We go there, we sit, and we listen. Sometimes we are pleased by what we hear because it's interesting and maybe even it gets us thinking, but ultimately little to no change comes of that which we just heard. I learn the most, especially with regards to my spiritual nature, when I am alone. Those moments of solace in which I come to these huge (seemingly meaningless) conclusions about life and myself (see: A Treatise on Being Young and Feeling Old) occur independent of (not) attending some kind of religious institution, whether it be the mosque or even a speech. You can attend every center in the country and hear the most brilliant speakers, but the ultimate change which shakes you to your core and gives you that special euphoria of understanding can only occur in your heart. Listening only takes you so far before it drops you off at the side of the road and forces you to walk the rest of the way (i.e. internalize and translate your thoughts into action [physical or spiritual]). Don't get me wrong, mosques and institutions of religion and spirituality aren't completely useless. They are only limited in what they can offer us (a superficial sense of community---at best). There is absolutely too much of a reliance on community structure. People don't give their own minds, spirits, energies enough credit. Sometimes I think we have all the answers ourselves but we have to hurt and fall and challenge ourselves until we can reach into ourselves and pull them out (kind of like this). Before I end this portion on that note, I would like to also mention that I don't want to denigrate the value of being social by advocating solidarity. The conversations with my brilliant friends and family are the catalysts for many of my understanding. But those too, like speeches and community, are limited in helping you achieve an ultimate state of understanding (nirvana?).

I would also like to mention that unlike Drew Baylor, I would like to completely reject the notion that things really are black and white. I have spent my entire life approach situations as "either/or"'s and I am starting to appreciate the use of "and"s. I think the process of rejecting that which your parents/society/religion attempts to drill into your brain, becoming liberal, becoming open-minded, and working towards freedom has helped me to realize the value in the spectrum. I would like to use this opportunity once and for all to say that I reject the traditional notion of seratal mostaghim ("the straight path"). There is no straight path and no straight line. Maybe ultimately, each one of us, will see our own lives as some type of path towards something, but to contend that there is one road we all should go down is just ludicrous (not to mention black and white). I find that embracing the notion of a spectrum has helped me approach situations and life holistically more fully and richly.

No comments: